This spring, create a skin care routine that’s as healthy for the Earth as it is for your skin. With a growing market of green and organic products, it’s never been easier to blend eco-friendly formulas into your daily skin care routine. Read on for our top picks.
Spring is always the ideal time to clean out your beauty arsenal, tossing old expired products and swapping them with fresh, new formulas. This year, take advantage of the many organic and environmentally responsible beauty lines, which are available for all budgets and skin care needs. This article highlights our favorite eco-friendly finds.
Picking eco-friendly products
Since being “green” has become a popular lifestyle choice, many companies have decided to take advantage of this consumer trend by creating and marketing earth-friendly products. For this reason, it’s important to know how to distinguish an authentically earth-friendly formula from one that’s masquerading itself as green by using un-regulated terms like “all-natural.”
Good Housekeeping’s leading green consumer web site The Daily Green, offers some tips for what to look for on packaging so you can better choose products that are truly environmentally responsible:
- Paraben and phthalate free. Phthalates are commonly used in plastic packaging (not limited to beauty products) while parabens are common preservatives that are widely used in skincare and cosmetic products. For both of these substances, scientific research has revealed potential cancer links, but the jury is still out as to whether or not there’s conclusive evidence that they’ll cause harm. Although many experts say that products containing phthalates and parabens are most likely safe, most agree that it’s best to avoid them when possible.
- USDA Organic certified. Considered a gold standard of eco-friendly authenticity, the USDA stamp of approval comes in two forms: “100% organic” indicates that all ingredients are certified organic, while the “organic” seal indicates that 95% of ingredients are certified organic.
- Biodynamic. The biodynamic movement embraces a holistic approach to agriculture, promoting small-scale farming and food production that’s friendly to the environment by resisting the use of fertilizers and pesticides.
- EcoCert. This European stamp of approval identifies products as being natural and organic while recognizing its production as meeting strict standards of environmental responsibility.
When it comes to finding the best, most authentically eco-friendly formulas, it can be hard to sort through the growing volume of brands available. We’ve done the homework for you; here are some of our favorite formulas to green your spring skin care routine:
- Hydrate: Juice Beauty Green Apple SPF 15 Moisturizer is teeming with healthy nutrients and vitamins, as well as anti-aging ingredients like peptides, DMAE, alpha lipoic acid, co-enzyme Q10 and SPF 15 to bring a healthy hydration that lasts all day.
- Cleanse: Korres Basil Lemon Showergel quenches your skin with hydrating aloe and vitamins C, E and zinc to restore skin’s natural immunity while cleansing from head to toe.
- Invigorate: L'Occitane Iris Eau de Parfum features iris essential oil from Italy, with a balanced woody accent for a daily scent that’s soothing, soft and subtle.
Spring your way toward green beauty
Spring is the season of renewal, painting the landscape with gorgeous shades of green. There’s no better time to infuse your beauty regimen with fresh, organically inspired formulas that are both eco-friendly and optimal for the health of your skin and hair.
Spring Cleaning Fashion and Beauty, Part 2: Revamp a Crowded Closet
Natural Beauty Handbook
Exploring Eco-Friendly Skincare: 5 Top Brands
Keep it Natural, Baby: 10 Natural Skincare Products for Your Little One