With spring still far off on the horizon, it’s easy to let winter gloom get the best of you. Improve your daily routine – and your mood – by incorporating some new trendy hair and skincare tricks into your bag. With these beauty boosts, you’ll be ready for a new look in no time.
With the same tired routine, beauty can easily become a chore. This year, take inspiration from some of your favorite beauty blogs and magazines and learn how to make fashion fun again, with tips for the body, hair, basic skincare and more. In this article, you’ll learn effortless ways to look rested and refreshed, master the art of a no-fuss makeup look and create pretty hairstyles that will have you out the door in no time.
Banish tiredness. Is your complexion looking a little pale and sallow? Plagued by tired skin and under-eye circles? Perhaps your concealer is to blame. Banish under-eye circles for good with a yellow-based concealer, choosing a color that’s just slightly lighter than your usual shade, Bobbi Brown tells Prevention. Start “as close to the lash line as possible,” and blend outward, “right up to the eye socket and on the sides of your nose.
Choose the blues. To help with discoloration and redness on a tired morning, choose a blue-based eye shadow and eye liner, Prevention says. Skip the mascara and eye liner on your lower lids, Brown adds, to draw eyes to the upper lids and away from any darkness under the eyes.
Go nude…makeup, that is. Instead of piling on the makeup to disguise complexion imperfections, try a couple simple products to help emphasize your natural beauty. Start with a tinted moisturizer to give your face a dewy, sun-kissed look. Then, follow with a facial highlighter. “Add definition by dusting a light-weight, shimmering powder wherever the light naturally hits your face,” suggests the website SheKnows. Finish with a tinted lip balm to infuse lips with moisture and shine.
No-fuss hairstyles. Toss aside the goal of perfectly coiffed locks and instead, master the art of simple but pretty styles. Here are two try-worthy styles for 2012:
- Start the day off right. On a sleepy winter morning, get your skin glowing and prepare for your day with a scented body scrub. Citrus scents, like grapefruit or tangerine, will naturally perk up your mood and energy levels. Or, if you’re a coffee addict, try a shower product with the rich aroma of that morning cup of joe. Exfoliating beads have the added benefit of stimulating your skin and circulation.
- Go with the flow. For a soft look, Allure recommends loose waves. Let your hair dry naturally, then use a leave-in conditioner for some healthy moisture. Next, use a half-inch curling iron on selected sections of your hair, “starting two inches from the roots and leaving a few inches of hair untouched at the ends.” The goal is a tousled look rather than perfect curls. Finish with a shine serum or cream and, if you need some extra hold, a light setting spray.
Give your hair a break. One of the easiest ways to achieve healthier, shinier locks is to be a little gentler with your daily hair care regimen. Using too much shampoo and conditioner not only wastes product, but can also weigh your hair down. Use shampoo only on the roots and conditioner only on the ends, and try washing every other day or every two days, which will prevent hair from becoming dry and parched.
Invest in high-quality tools. Heat-styling on a daily basis can take a toll on your hair, so if you can’t live without your blow-dryer and flat iron, go for tools that minimize damage, such as those with ceramic or ionic technology. And, always prep hair with a protective spray to shield hair from the heat.
Well-behaved brows. No look is complete without a pair of freshly groomed brows. But don’t over-pluck – instead, emphasize the natural shape of your brows, filling out any sparse places. "With a fresh, natural look, it's important to have groomed brows. They frame the face and add definition," makeup artist Maxine Leonard tells Marie Claire.
A whiter, brighter smile. Whether you opt for a mild whitening toothpaste or prefer whitening trays or strips, start the year off with a beautiful smile. If you have sensitive teeth, make sure to go slow – some whitening treatments can increase sensitivity.
Boost your beauty. Got 30 seconds to spare? Try one of these little pick-me-ups:
- Do the twist. Another effortless style, suggested by Allure, is a variation on the French twist. While hair is still wet, spray with a leave-in conditioner, pull back into a ponytail at the top of your crown and secure using a clip or elastic band. “ Twirl the tail until it becomes a tight coil, pin into place, and tuck the ends underneath,” Allure explains. A drop of shine serum and you’ll be out the door in less than five minutes.
- Heated eyelash curler. Curling lashes makes them look longer and fuller. For some extra oomph, replace your basic curler with a heated lash curler like Blinc Heated Lash Curler.
- Facial mist. Dry winter air can leave your skin parched by midday. A hydrating facial spray will restore moisture and leave your skin glowing. If you have a skin condition like eczema or rosacea, try one that contains thermal spring water, like Avene Thermal Spring Water.
Winter may seem bleak, but don’t let your appearance follow suit. From a whiter smile and a glowing complexion to fun, pretty hairstyles, these beauty tips can help make your daily beauty routine fun again.
Late for Work? The 30-Minute Routine
Dermatologist 101: How a Visit Can Transform Your Routine (Skincare Monthly Series - March)
Brighten Up: 5 Tips to Perk Up Tired Eyes