Winter might seem especially dreary when you’re stuck inside an office every day. And while the workplace might seem like the last place to show off your sense of style and fashion, all it takes is a little creativity to create a look that’s both trendy and work appropriate. Break out of your style rut and make it fun to get ready for work this winter with a few fashion and beauty tips.
Start with the basics, like deciding what you can keep from your summer wardrobe and investing in some skincare staples. You’ll learn how to add color to a drab outfit and choose accessories for the workday, like patterned flats and fun scarves. Then, find out how to make a trendy manicure work-appropriate, experiment with fall’s favorite color picks like peach lipstick and take your look from work to play with ease.
1. Reevaluate your summer wardrobe. Don’t be sad that it’s time to bid your flirty tanks and tees goodbye until next summer – you might be able to salvage a few items to work into your winter wardrobe. Those summer tanks and tees make great layering pieces under thick sweaters or jackets. Start with a few basic winter items, like button-down sweaters. Layer a neutral sweater in grey or black over a brighter tank for a punch of color on dark days. You might be able to wear some of your favorite skirts with tights, as well.
2. Invest in skincare staples. It might not seem as fun as playing with makeup, but caring for your skin this winter will make a big difference in how you look and feel. The best foundation in the world won’t make a difference if your skin is chapped, cracked and red, and you can bet that your trendy manicure won’t fare so well if your hands are desert dry. A regular regimen of gentle cleansing, exfoliating and moisturizing will have your skin ready for the winter. Try:
3. Let your hands make a statement. After all the hours at the computer you’ve put in, your hands deserve some TLC. Embrace some of fall and winter’s hottest beauty looks with a trendy manicure. While many of the trends are on the bold side, you can keep it a little subtler for work by choosing softer, less intense colors. Self suggests “jewel-toned” nails this season. Try metallic or shimmery shades like bronze, copper or silver, which add some punch without being overwhelming. Try SpaRitual Nail Lacquer Mood in charcoal shimmer. Or, get creative with color, choosing shades with hints of pearly white or silver, like SpaRitual Nail Lacquer It's Raining Men.
For more how-to manicure tips, see this article: Office Manicure Trends for Fall.
4. Go from day to night with ease. The best way to wear an outfit that can easily transform from work to evening? Pair a sophisticated tank with a skirt and tights, then cover with a cardigan for workday wear, suggests the website SheKnows. For evening, lose the cardigan and spice it up with a sleek, fitted jacket or wrap sweater.
5. Wear a peach pout. Forget about the ravishing reds or deep plums. This season, a peachy-nude shade is all the rage, according to the website MSN Glo. Peach can be a flattering shade if you stay away from hues that stray too far into the orange territory. Layer a lipstick like DuWop IcedTeas White Peach with a high-shine gloss to amp up the color. Bonus points: Before you pucker up, use a lip exfoliator and hydrating balm to lock in moisture and keep your color from disappearing.
6. Try a pair of fun flats. It’s Friday, and you can’t bear the thought of wearing those toe-pinching heels for the fifth day in a row. Break out a pair of eye-catching, yet comfy and work-appropriate, flats, suggests Marie Claire. With their subtle shape, a pair of flats can be a standout accessory without looking too flashy. Try patterned, textured or sequined flats, or a solid pair in navy, grey or taupe.
7. Brighten up a dull complexion. A pale, washed-out complexion is inevitable for some women during the winter months. Add a dose of radiance with a bold cheek color. A cheek stain will give you a subtle glow without looking artificial. Try a long-lasting formula like DuWop Cheek Venom Diamondback.
8. Make accessories work for you. Sometimes all it takes to transform your office look from blah to beautiful are a few key accessories. Whether you prefer bangles or beads, a few carefully chosen pieces will help you keep up with the trends this season. You can also add a scarf that complements the shade of your blouse, or a belt in a deep, rich hue.
While you can’t treat your workplace like a fashion show, there’s no reason that you have to save your sense of style for the weekends. Keep your look classy and sophisticated by taking care of your skin and making smart choices when it comes to clothing and cosmetics.
Fall Fashion Tips: Coordinate the Season's Best Hair and Fashion Trends
‘Tis the Season For Style: Tips For Enhancing Your Holiday Look (November)
Office Beauty Handbook: Skincare Guide to a Professional Appearance in the Workplace
Office Manicure Trends for Fall