When you’re juggling a career along with all the other demands of life, it’s easy to lose sight of your own well-being. And for most women, feeling good also means looking your best. Fortunately, we’ve got a beauty guide tailor-made for the professional working woman. Find out how to create and maintain an office-appropriate look, from the first interview to the whirlwind business trip. You’ll also get excellent ideas for minimizing stress, such as getting adequate sleep and indulging in lunchtime beauty treatments, and essential tips for looking office-ready on a budget. Plus, learn how to keep your hair and makeup fresh throughout the day, from a morning workout to an evening dinner date.
When it comes to the workplace, top researchers report that your appearance plays a powerful role in directing your degree of success. From nailing the first impression during an interview to boosting your sense of self-confidence and performance, maintaining a polished, office-appropriate is an essential piece of your professional portfolio.
But whether you’re just starting to climb the corporate ladder or are already a corner-office executive, a busy career leaves little time for cultivating an effective beauty regimen. Thankfully, we’ve done the research for you. This guide offers advice on everything you need to maintain a healthy, put-together appearance from head to toe, including the best clinically-proven ingredients for a clear complexion, top-quality multi-tasking products for saving time, simple and chic hairstyles that are office-appropriate, and even science-backed ideas for performance-boosting pampering. Keep reading to discover how to take your professional image from dull and drab to sophisticated and put-together in no time.
Skincare, Hair & Makeup at the Office
Looking for some basic beauty tools to help you navigate the professional world? Need expert advice on interview-appropriate hair and makeup, or want to revamp your everyday makeup routine? Whether you’re a high-level executive or just starting up the career ladder, these beauty tips and tricks can set the stage for job success.
- Office Beauty Guide to a Professional Interview Appearance. Before you can demonstrate your skills in the workplace, you first have to prove that you’re the right one for the job. And in this case, the old adage “Dress for success” isn’t just a cliché. Research confirms that presenting a competent, professional image is key to instilling a sense of confidence in employers, and hence landing the position you want. This guide offers advice on creating a polished and professional makeup look, with tips on how to emphasize your natural beauty. You’ll also find ideas on office-appropriate hairstyles, outfits, nail polish and accessories so that, when it’s time for the all-important interview, your appearance is the last thing on your mind.
- Makeup Looks for the Office. When it comes to your career, conveying the right impression doesn’t end with the job interview. Whether your work environment is business casual or requires more formal attire, science confirms that a professional appearance can boost confidence and help you feel your best. This article provides a step-by-step guide to prepping skin for a “natural” look that’s sophisticated but not overdone. With options for fun flourishes and creative variations, depending on your job’s policy, you’ll learn how to highlight your best beauty features while presenting an office-appropriate image.
- Budget Beauty for the Office: 15 Affordable Finds. Looking for creative ways to enhance your professional appearance – without depleting your bank account? Fortunately, with a few expert tips, you can master a budget-friendly beauty routine that matches your skin type and lifestyle. Get advice for smart skincare buys – like multitasking formulas and DIY treatments – plus a guide to affordable hair products and cosmetics. With our frugal finds, you can stretch your beauty budget and show up for work looking fresh, polished and professionally put-together from head to toe.
- Professional Hairstyles for the Office. According to top psychologists, first impressions are formed instantly upon an introduction – and are difficult to change later on. For this reason, your office appearance – including hairstyle – sends an important message to employers, coworkers and customers about your personality and work ethic in the office. In the workplace, hair should reflect both professionalism and your individual personality. This article recommends haircuts for all types of tresses, from thick and curly to straight and fine, plus tips for simple yet polished styles that are ideal for the office. Whether you’re considering a playful pixie cut, a businesslike bob or a sophisticated ponytail, use our low-maintenance guide to help you choose the right look and keep your locks healthy.
- Workday Skincare: A Good Night's Sleep for Refreshed Skin at the Office. It’s called “beauty sleep” for a reason. When you sleep, your skin repairs itself, helping you to look refreshed and ready to tackle the day. Spend too many nights working around the clock and your skin suffers. Find out what your skin actually does while you sleep and how you can get more zzz’s.
- Practical Tips for Healthy Skincare at the Office. From the drying effects of indoor air to the impacts of work-related stress and sleep deprivation, long days at the office can damage the health and appearance of your complexion. Along with expert advice on protecting your skin from the elements, this article provides time-saving tips to repair damage and boost the health of your skin. Discover essential products – ranging from serums to sunscreens – and solutions for everyday office-related beauty issues, including dull skin and smudged makeup, to keep your skin healthy and radiant from 9 to 5 and beyond.
- Summer Beauty Trends for the Office. Working in an office doesn’t mean you have to limit your look to neutral shades and conservative hairstyles year-round. Summer offers the perfect opportunity to experiment with brighter colors, sun-kissed skin and looser hair in your everyday office appearance. Even in the most conservative workplaces, you can add a subtle splash of color to your cubicle with a new nail shade or hair hue. Check out this article for more ideas on classic but casual updos, office-friendly hair color, summer-inspired makeup and more.
- Fall Beauty Switch-Up Part 1: 7 Tips for Office Skincare This Fall. From sudden drops in humidity to fluctuating air temperatures, seasonal weather-related transitions can wreak havoc on your complexion – especially between summer and fall. However, maintaining healthy, fresh-skin is especially essential if your career takes you to the office everyday. As summer winds down, take control of common concerns, including flaky skin and dull hair, to look polished, fresh and, most importantly, professional in time for fall. From clinically-proven ingredients that repair skin to expert advice in weatherizing your regimen, this article offers essential tips for maintaining a career-boosting complexion during autumn and beyond.
- Skin Protection in the Workplace: How to Defend Skin from Office Beauty Hazards. Have you ever considered how your work environment may be detrimental to the health of your skin? Germs lurking around the office, artificial indoor air, and incidental exposure to UV rays during your late afternoon commute are just a few of the threats facing your skin on a daily basis. Sidestep career-related skin damage and maintain a healthy, resilient complexion with expert advice, including the best ingredients backed by science and tips for shielding your skin, in this complete guide to sidestepping office skincare hazards.
- Office Skincare for Men: 5 Tips for Confidence and Success. If you think that men get a pass when it comes to appearances at the office, think again. According to top research, a professional and polished look – including healthy skin and well-groomed hair – brings career-related benefits to both men and women. Whether you’re a high-level executive or working your way to the top, a foolproof skincare regimen with effective ingredients and smart grooming techniques will help you feel confident and look office-appropriate on the job. From smarter shaving and more effective facial cleansing to fighting acne and the signs of aging, here’s an expert skincare guide for professional men of all ages.
- Create a Smoky Eye That’s Office Appropriate. Alluring eye makeup is an ancient beauty favorite, but is this look appropriate for everyday office wear? With a few simple techniques, you can create an eye-catching but understated eye makeup look that transitions seamlessly from work to evening. Discover tips on how to create the perfect smoky eye using the right palette and shades, keeping other makeup minimal to avoid an overdramatic effect. And no need to be intimidated by application tricks: use our step-by-step guide to applying flawless eye makeup that’s sultry but professional.
- Workplace Beauty for the Polished Professional: 6 Beauty Products to Keep at Your Office. Pressed for time in the morning, or need a mid-afternoon beauty pick-me-up to feel polished and refreshed at the office? Here’s your list of skincare essentials to keep on hand for a harried day at work or an easy transition from a professional daytime look to a glamorous night out. From blotting paper to multi-purpose makeup and dry shampoo, learn the basics of building an emergency beauty kit for your desk drawer or purse.
- Office Update: 8 Ways to Revamp Your Professional Look. When you’re working in an office every day, it’s easy to get stuck in a beauty rut. Luckily, switching up your hair and makeup look – even in subtle ways – can spruce up your mood and boost your confidence at the office. This article offers simple tips to help you achieve a sophisticated and stylish appearance, including how to upgrade your beauty tools, add a professionally-appropriate shimmer to your makeup shades, groom your locks into more contemporary styles, and more.
- 8 Beauty & Makeup Tips for the Fashion-Forward Professional. With the rain, fog and dreary weather, winter can seem dull and drab, but doesn’t mean your office outfit has to be. This guide offers some ideas to break out of your beauty rut. With some accessories and the right colors, you can make dressing for work fun again.
- Anti-Aging at Your Desk: 5 Healthy Skin Habits. Ready to be just as proactive about aging as you are about your career? As a busy professional, you probably don’t have time to research the latest anti-aging skincare advice – so we’ve done it for you. Here are five expert tips for keeping your skin smooth, youthful and protected amidst a hectic work day. Whether you’re suffering from dry skin, fatigue, stress or crow’s feet, use this guide to establish healthy skincare habits – and maintain a career-boosting complexion – at the office and beyond.
Professional Beauty on the Go
For many working women, mornings are the most hectic part of the day. And if traveling is part of your job, keeping your skincare habits healthy and organized on the road can be a challenge. We’ve compiled top tips from the leading skincare and beauty experts to help you create a quick, effective regimen whether you’re pressed for time in the morning or on-the-go with business travel. Along with the best, research-backed ingredients to nourish and protect your skin, this guide offers top multi-tasking products and essential skincare steps to help you create an effective, skin-nourishing beauty regimen at home or on-the-go.
- Late for Work? The 30-Minute Routine. On a rushed and stressful morning, the idea of putting together a professional appearance can seem daunting. But if you use these time-saving beauty techniques, then a late start won’t derail your day – or your look. Learn how to get yourself polished and out the door in 30 minutes or less with multitasking products, minimalist makeup tips and simple, chic hairstyles. Now, on days when you’ve overslept or had a setback in your usual routine, you can still arrive at the office looking polished and professional, ready for the day ahead.
- 10 Beauty Tips for the Business Traveler. Frequent travelers know the challenges of a busy life on the go – and how beauty habits can suffer in the rush between airports, hotels and early morning meetings. Find out how to maintain healthy skin in any travel conditions with a pared-down regimen that includes travel-friendly beauty staples and simplified hairstyling tips. Plus, get ideas for organizing your products and proven ways to ease travel stress with some pampering options that are perfect for a professional on the go.
- The Busy Working Woman's Guide to Fabulous Skin. A busy work day often means neglecting your skin – which can lead to dry hands, excess shine and unsightly sweat. To avoid the pitfalls of office grime, stress and skin flare-ups, this article offers expert tips on nurturing your skin, reviving makeup, and smelling fresh on-the-go. The best part? These simple solutions require only a few minutes out of the day, so you can look and feel confident without sacrificing your performance at the office.
- On-the-Go Beauty for Working Women: Chic Commuting Tips for Biking to Work. Biking to work can be convenient if your commute is fairly short. However, it can be difficult to keep a polished appearance if you’re working up a sweat before the workday even starts. Avoid helmet hair and enjoy stay-put makeup with the tips outlined in this guide.
- Fix Makeup Mishaps with the Ultimate Office Beauty Tool Kit. Tired of makeup smudging, running or fading halfway through the workday? A few simple – and discreet – tricks can help keep you looking fresh and polished from morning to evening. Learn how to choose your products wisely to prevent makeup meltdown, especially in warm and humid weather. Or, if you need to administer a quick fix during office hours, get handy tips for correcting makeup mishaps using basic cotton swabs. Better yet, use our recommendations for a complete office beauty tool kit to ensure a fresh look all day every day.
Beauty Beyond the Office
A notion put forth by the earliest philosophers, it’s no secret that a balanced and fulfilled life includes both work and pleasure. In fact, one enhances the other. But for many working professionals, integrating exercise, beauty and other forms of stress-relief into an already-packed professional calendar is the ultimate challenge when it comes to work-life balance. Thankfully, we have some time-saving tips for incorporating beauty-boosting, stress-reducing, and mind-soothing activities into your busy schedule. From the science behind the skin-nourishing benefits of a good night’s sleep to proven strategies to increase energy, here’s your go-to guide for blending business with beauty.
- 10 Tips to Energize Your Body and Skin in the Morning. Whether you’re an up-and-at-‘em morning person or dread the sound of your daily alarm clock, this article offers advice for starting the day with ease and energy – especially when there’s a long workday ahead. This go-to guide details time-saving tips to streamline your morning, including how to get a step ahead in the evening, ways to multitask in the shower and must-have ingredients for energizing your brain and body. You’ll also discover why scientists recommend waking up to natural sunlight along with the clinically-proven benefits of aromatherapy, and how a healthy breakfast can naturally boost your beauty regimen.
- Escape From the Office: Eight Lunchtime Treatments. Studies show that a little bit of pampering – even during the workday – can bring a bevy of benefits, including a better mood and a boost in productivity that’s sure to please your boss. With lunchtime beauty treatments offered at a growing number of spas and salons, working professionals can easily schedule a pedicure, blow-out, wax or facial between morning meetings and afternoon appointments. Other feel-good options, like teeth-whitening, are proven to boost confidence while a massage can soothe a stressed-out mind and ease sore muscles. To learn more about how some midday pampering can improve your mind, body – and even your work performance – take a look at this go-to guide for lunchtime beauty treatments.
- Workout to Workday: Tips for Going from the Gym to the Office. For a working woman, squeezing exercise into an already busy schedule can be a big challenge – especially when factoring in time for showering, hair and makeup. But science shows that the stress-relieving effects and health-boosting benefits brought on by breaking a sweat are well worth the extra effort. With a little planning and some time-saving tips, even the busiest working ladies can prioritize fitness. Along with gym-friendly beauty products, this go-to guide offers speedy advice for transitioning between the locker room and the board room. Whether you opt for an early morning jog or an evening spinning session, learn how to create a pre- and post-workout beauty regimen that takes you from out-of-breath and sweaty to chic and office-ready in no time.
Office Manicure Trends for Fall. A sophisticated manicure can make all the difference in your professional look. And fall is the perfect time to experiment with a new style or shade when it comes to your nail polish. From classy French tips to daring metallic hues, get the low-down on the hottest nail trends and top polish picks for fall. Plus, we offer expert advice for an easy DIY manicure that takes your office look from dated and dull to stylish and sophisticated in the comfort of home.
A Guide to Facials for the Professional Woman. Working women have enough on their plates without having to worry about skin issues like acne and aging. But setting aside an hour or so for a routine facial every few weeks is all the time it takes to tackle your toughest skincare concerns. Discover how facials can refresh your skin, reverse the signs of aging, treat acne – and even soothe your stressed-out, over-worked mind – for long-term benefits that include a more radiant, healthy complexion. This article offers a guide to the different types of facial treatments, expert advice for what to know before you go and the benefits you can expect from adding a professional facial to your beauty regimen.
- The Quick Change: Makeup from the Office to the Evening. After a long day at work, redoing your makeup for a night on the town may feel like a hassle. With this convenient guide, you’ll learn how to move seamlessly from your last afternoon appointment to an after-work social event with a few simple steps and beauty products. While your daytime makeup may be lighter and more conservative for work, we’ll show you how to have fun experimenting with more dramatic yet sophisticated looks for evening. Plus, if you’re in a hurry, we offer easy shortcuts to touch up your morning makeup with simple staples that you can keep on hand at the office.
- Beauty for the Professional: A Guide to Looking Great at the Office and Beyond. Congratulations! You’ve landed your dream job. But the hard part isn’t over yet. You may have the education and knowledge, but a put-together appearance is also a crucial part of any job. Looking well-groomed and polished at all times is a must for those impromptu meetings and client presentations. With this handy guide full of quick beauty tips and tricks, you’ll always look and feel your best as you climb the corporate ladder.
- Stylish Mom’s Guide to a Polished Office Look: Easy Beauty Tips to Transform from Busy Mother to Confident Professional. Being a mom is hard enough. Add a 40-hour workweek to the mix and the result is likely chaotic. If you’re short on time and energy – like most working moms – don’t fret. With the tips in this guide, you’ll go from drab to fab in no time and face your busy day with confidence.
- Beauty Tips for Working Women: 10 After-Work Pampering Ideas. Think you’re too busy for pampering? Research shows that slowing down and giving yourself some TLC is an important part of alleviating stress, particularly if you’re always on the go. Fortunately, even the busiest schedule can include five minutes of stress relief. Learn how to create your own soothing routine with easy and inexpensive beauty treatments, ready-made products and DIY ideas for nurturing yourself after a busy workday.
Professional women have enough to juggle without worrying about their appearance, both at the workplace and outside of it. Whether you’re short on time or are watching your budget, you’ve got plenty of options for maintaining a polished, office-appropriate look. With this handbook, you can address all your beauty needs, from perfecting a sophisticated interview appearance to de-stressing after a long day at the office with some pampering and invigorating beauty treatments.
Top 25 Skincare & Beauty Books and Articles of 2010
Skincare & Beauty FAQ Handbook – Part 3: Anti-Aging
Beauty on a Budget Handbook