Are you noticing lackluster skin? Saving your makeup for special occasions? Or simply bored with your beauty routine? If your regimen is a big yawn, here are five pointers to perk up your routine.
1. Buy a beauty something. Nothing shakes things up like a new purchase — especially something you wouldn’t normally choose. Get adventurous with a bold red lipstick or a new fragrance. For instance, if you gravitate toward floral aromas, pick something woody, minty or spicy.
Give this season’s biggest trend — gray polish — a try. You can also try mixing your polishes, another hot trend spotted at this year’s runway shows, reports Glamour. This is a great way to get creative and build your own signature look. How to do it? Get an empty bottle of nail polish from a beauty supply store and avoid filling the bottle to the brim so you can easily mix the colors, suggests the magazine. Then, mix away by blending your favorite lacquers.
Other trends? For the eyes, seek out bronze shades and vanilla-gold hues, makeup artist Brett Freedman tells BellaSugar. Also, go for multi-toned mascaras. For the lips, Brett suggests lavender, plum and deep tones.
Still clueless about what to pick out? Ask a friend to recommend a new product or choose one for you. Browse through your favorite magazines and Web sites for more ideas. If you’re looking for a splurge this season, check out our article on luxurious buys. Or get more inspiration with our holiday gift guide.
2. Evaluate your skincare. You might be bored for good reason: Your skin may be looking lackluster because it's time to replace your products. Look through everything you currently use and scrutinize your skin. Is it dull, extra dry or red?
It may be time to adjust your routine. Maybe you need to exfoliate more often or use a gentler scrub. Or perhaps you need a richer moisturizer or a lotion specially formulated for sensitive or irritation-prone skin. See here for ideas to cold-proof your routine. And consider seeing a dermatologist, who’ll examine your skin and make recommendations for an effective skincare routine.
3. Breathe new life into your beauty space. Refresh your beauty corner by clearing out the clutter and redecorating. Organizing is a great cure for idle hands and a sad space. Plus, it helps you see what you need and don't need. You may even rediscover a few products. However, be sure to consult our expiration guide since some formulas may be ready for the trash. And remember that clearing out clutter on the outside seems to do the same thing on the inside —so you might end up feeling calmer all around.
Next, consider creative ways to spruce up your cabinets or counter space to liven up the place — and your beauty routine. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- For lip gloss and other smaller products you frequently use, look for a pretty tray to display these regulars so they’re easily accessible.
- For perfume, get a small glass tray or use a mirror.
- At your local discount store, find a few cute bowls to house eye shadow, foundation, blush and cream.
- Finally find a function for old gift boxes by using them to store your makeup, too.
- If your eye shadows are individually packaged, stack them in a wide, square vase on your dresser. It’s decorative and functional.
- Remember to keep products out of the bathroom and car, where the temps are too variable and can hasten your products’ demise.
- Add a few fragrant candles to promote relaxation and boost your mood when going through your beauty rituals.
4. Treat yourself to a DIY treatment. Nothing revitalizes your skin better than a refreshing facial or skin treatment. You’ll not only feel more relaxed and rejuvenated but you’ll notice improvement in your skin’s overall look and feel. If your budget allows, visit the spa for a tailored treatment. If you’d prefer a less pricey option, do it yourself. Consider your skin’s biggest concern, and go from there. Is it dryness, dullness, acne or excess oil? Here are some great recipes for skin-boosting DIY treatments.
5. Visit the makeup counter and experiment away. Sometimes, getting a different and unbiased perspective — from someone who doesn't know you — can help revamp your look. Be open to suggestions. While you don’t have to go through a routine revolution, you can pick up a product or two for a nice (and comfortable) change. Bonus: You can see exactly how the colors look on you and get a professional makeup application for free. You never know; you just might pick up something that banishes your boredom along with a few tips.
So if you’re stuck in a beauty rut, there’s light at the end of the tunnel — there are various ways to refresh a stale routine. Whether you decide to buy something you typically wouldn’t, try out a DIY treatment or visit your fave beauty counter, you can easily turn your beauty blues into beauty bliss!
The Minimalist’s Makeup Routine
A Step-by-Step Guide to the Perfect Pedicure
Steamy Secrets: At-Home Facial Steaming