For men, a night out is the chance to shine. Whether you’re on a budget or want to splurge, you can look sharp and polished from head to toe. While most men know the basics of dress and hygiene, it takes a little more to create a stand-out look that expresses your taste and individuality. Use these tips to improve your current skincare, hair and grooming regimen, so you can feel relaxed and look confident anywhere you go.
Step 1: Shave and Groom
For a night on the town, your face should be clean, polished and put-together. This doesn’t mean you need to spend an hour in the bathroom or empty your wallet on expensive products. Use your everyday grooming tools, along with a few well-chosen investments, to create a timeless look that’ll last through the night.
- Groom your beard or go clean-shaven: If you’re sporting a beard, make sure the edges are clean before you go out. Use an electric razor or scissors to trim any stray hairs and keep the borders defined. If you decide to go clean-shaven, make sure you use a high-quality shaving cream such as the Art of Shaving Cream Sandalwood. WebMD recommends shaving in the shower with warm water. Another great option is to place a hot, wet towel over your face to soften the skin and raise the hairs before you shave. For an especially clean-cut look, shave with the grain on the first pass and across the grain on the second pass.
- Keep a healthy glow: Once you’re finished grooming, make sure to moisturize. Healthy hydration is key to maintaining a clear complexion, and shaving can strip away the top layers of skin and dry out your face. A hydrating aftershave, such as AHAVA Men’s Soothing After-Shave Moisturizer, will keep your skin glowing and help reduce razor burn.
- Polish your smile: Your smile is one of the first features that people notice – and pearly whites go a long way toward a good impression. The Mayo Clinic recommends brushing and flossing your teeth twice a day. When you’re out on the town, avoid teeth-staining beverages like coffee, red wine, black tea and colas. If you need a quick touch-up, the On the Go Teeth Whitening Pen can polish up any problem areas on-the-go or be used as part of a regular teeth-whitening regimen.
Step 2: Style and Prep
Many men view hair care as something of a mystery. The basics of hair care are easy – and essential if you’re planning to spend the night with that someone special. Thankfully, you don’t need to break the bank to create a clean look. A solid routine and one or two products will do the trick.
- Clean your hair: Unwashed hair leads to grease and odors that won’t do you any favors. Hop in the shower and use a low-sulfate shampoo that won’t strip essential oils from your scalp. Alterna BAMBOO Men Invigorating Shampoo is a great option that works well with most hair types. Lather in the shampoo, rinse, and then apply a conditioner to lock in moisture. If you don’t already have a go-to conditioner, Billy Jealousy Cashmere Coat Strengthening Conditioner is a great place to start.
Step 3: Choose a signature scent
There are many cologne options, allowing you to experiment with several different scents to find the one you like. Generally speaking, lighter scents that feature citrus and floral are better for spring and summer while darker scents that are spicy or smoky are more appropriate for colder seasons. No matter which cologne you chose, the key to success is restraint. A dab or two behind the ears or on the wrists will go a long way. Here are some good scents to start with.
- Michael Kors for Men: With patchouli base notes and masculine mid notes of suede, smoke and cinnamon, this cologne is sure to make a strong impression. A single dab will last through the night.
- Calvin Klein Obsession: A perfect scent for the man with a thoughtful edge, Calvin Klein Obsession is layered with sandalwood, sage and mandarin for a daring, provocative experience.
- Billy Jealously Illicit Eau de Parfum: If you like citrus scents, this is the ideal cologne for you. Dominated by Bergamot notes filtered through ivy, ginger and nutmeg, this is perfect for the man with a rogue streak.
Preparing for an evening out doesn’t have to be a nerve-wracking experience. With the right products and a touch of care, you can look great and feel confident when you step out the door. Spend those few extra minutes to make sure your skin is pristine, your hair is in perfect shape, and your cologne is enticing. Your night out is guaranteed to be one to remember.
Post-Graduation Fashion: Style and Makeup Tips to Transform Your Wardrobe From Student to Employee
Father’s Day Skincare Gift Guide
10 Grooming Essentials for Guys: Graduation Gift Guide