When it comes to treating sensitive skin, there’s no one-size-fits-all solution. Here are eight tips – along with expert advice – for nurturing, treating and protecting the sensitive skin of everyone in the entire family.
For some, sensitive skin is a side effect of aging or acne while for others, sensitive skin is a seasonal problem. Building a daily regimen that effectively treats special skin conditions can be a challenge when dealing with a delicate complexion. Here are eight tips for sensitive skincare that’ll help you achieve a healthy, flawless appearance from head to toe.
1. Start with the basics
A daily regimen that meets the needs of your skin type without unwanted irritation is the cornerstone of a healthy, beautiful complexion. However, putting together the basic formulas that cleanse, hydrate and nurture sensitive skin can be tricky without a little help. Whether your skin sensitivity is brought on by acne, aging or the changing of the seasons, take some time to review the fundamentals of flawless, sensitive skin.
2. Understand the ingredients
Unfortunately, certain ingredients in daily skincare formulas can irritate sensitive skin or worsen existing problems. Although every individual’s skin is unique in how it reacts to problem ingredients, there are common culprits that everyone should avoid. Take time to educate yourself on which ingredients tend to be harsh on delicate skin and which can soothe, nourish and protect.
For more essential information about common skincare ingredients, read FAQs Handbook Chapter 9: Skincare Ingredients - The 23 Questions & Answers.
Just because you have sensitive skin doesn’t mean you should skip pampering treatments. Instead consider pampering an opportunity to soothe and nurture your complexion with safe, gentle ingredients. There are countless ways to indulge, including an easy at-home facial or a seaweed wrap at your local spa.
- At home: Do you have honey, brown sugar or chamomile tea lurking in your kitchen cupboards? These common ingredients – along with many others – can be incorporated into easy, affordable at-home treatments that soothe and indulge sensitive skin. For complete recipes, read 8 DIY Spa Treatments for Sensitive Skin.
4. Be proactive
If you have sensitive skin, it’s essential to take a proactive approach to daily skincare. Whether it’s a more soothing method of daily shaving or minimizing exposure to environmental stressors like the sun, learn how your daily habits can prevent irritation while nourishing your sensitive skin.
- Soothe: From soothing baths to avoiding alcohol, there are many easy, affordable ways to de-stress your skin. Check out the following article to learn more: Soothing Stressed-Out Skin.
5. Banish blemishes
Acne can wreak havoc on sensitive skin types, creating a complexion that’s red, tender and more easily irritated. Making matters worse, finding ingredients that are powerful enough to banish blemishes but gentle on sensitive skin can be difficult.
- For dry, sensitive skin: Do you have acne-prone skin that’s also dry and sensitive? When treating breakouts, it’s important to find blemish-fighting ingredients that won’t further dehydrate your skin. For tips, review Acne Treatment for Dry and Sensitive Skin.
6. Take a seasonal approach
For many, sensitive skin is a condition that changes with the season. Most often, the cold, dry air during fall, winter and spring wreaks the worst havoc on sensitive skin, causing dehydration, itchiness, flaking and cracking. By understanding how the weather affects your skin, you can tailor your regimen to nurture, condition and hydrate your complexion all year round.
7. Find solutions for the whole family
Genetics plays an important role in determining skin type, so it’s not uncommon for skin sensitivity to affect the entire family. When it comes to caring for sensitive skin, building smart habits at an early age can contribute toward a lifetime of healthy, strong skin.
- For mom: As mom gets older, her skin may develop new sensitivities related to menopause and aging. For easy tips to help mom safely improve the health and appearance of her sensitive skin, read Sensitive Skin Anti-Aging Guide for Spring.
- For dad: When it comes to sensitive skin, dads face unique challenges. From the best ingredients for guys to gentle shaving tips, Sensitive Skin Care for Men is a go-to guide just for men.
8. Apply makeup – minus the irritation
When it comes to makeup, those with sensitive skin may have a more difficult time finding cosmetics that don’t cause irritation. By avoiding certain ingredients and a few simple habits, those with sensitive skin can achieve a flawless, healthy complexion without any uncomfortable side effects.
- For all sensitive skin types: By learning which ingredients, colors and cosmetics to avoid, you can achieve a flawless, healthy appearance without any irritation. For expert tips, read A Makeup Manual for Sensitive Skin.
- For aging skin: For sensitivity that’s brought on by dry, aging skin, there are special techniques, ingredients and products that can minimize the appearance of lines, wrinkles and dark spots without compromising your complexion. Special Makeup Tips for Sensitive, Aging Skin offers top makeup tips for mature skin.
Sensitive skin doesn’t have to complicate your daily beauty regimen or compromise the health and appearance of your complexion. By avoiding problem ingredients, identifying common triggers and embracing smart lifestyle habits, you can achieve clear, radiant skin from head to toe. For more information on sensitive skin and other common conditions, read FAQs Handbook Chapter 8: Skincare Conditions - The 25 Questions & Answers.
Exfoliation for Every Skin Type
Look to Nature for a Gentle Skincare Routine
L’Occitane Product Review